UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus 2021
UPSC IAS Pre Exam Syllabus 2021
IAS Exam Paper 1 Syllabus – (200 marks)
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus 2021 : Current events of national and international importance., History of India and Indian National Movement., Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic, Geography of India and the World included in IAS Pre Syllabus., Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System,, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc., Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc., General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and, Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization., General Science included in IAS Preliminary Exam Syllabus.
IAS Exam Syllabus- Paper II-(200 marks)
- Comprehension included in IAS Exam Syllabus Prelims;
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability;
- Decision making and problem solving;
- General mental ability included in IAS Pre Exam Syllabus
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations,
- orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level),
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables,
- data sufficiency etc. — Class X level) included in IAS Exam Syllabus New
UPSC IAS Prelims Syllabus PDF
IAS Exam Syllabus Topic Wise For Paper I – Essay
- Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics.
- They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion, and to write concisely.
- Credit will be given for effective and exact expression included in Syllabus of IAS Exam.
- Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms, literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/ contributions from different parts of the country included in IAS Exam 2021 Syllabus.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of national boundaries, colonization, decolonization, political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society included in IAS Exam Syllabus 2021
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society included in IAS Exam Latest Syllabus.
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Salient features of world’s physical geography included in IAS Exam Complete Syllabus.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including
- South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc., geographical features and their location- changes in critical geographical features (including water-bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
IAS Exam Syllabus of Mains Paper III
- Indian Constitution—Historical Underpinnings, Evolution,
- Features, Amendments, Significant Provisions And Basic Structure
- Functions And Responsibilities Of The Union And The States, Issues And Challenges Pertaining To The Federal Structure, Devolution Of Powers And Finances Up To Local Levels And Challenges Therein.
- Separation Of Powers Between Various Organs Dispute Redressal
- Mechanisms And Institutions included in IAS Syllabus Mains.
- Comparison Of The Indian Constitutional Scheme With That Of Other Countries.
- Parliament And State Legislatures—Structure, Functioning, Conduct Of
- Business, Powers & Privileges And Issues Arising Out Of These.
- Structure, Organization And Functioning Of The Executive And The
- Judiciary—Ministries And Departments Of The Government; Pressure
- Groups And Formal/Informal Associations And Their Role In The Polity.
- Salient Features Of The Representation Of People’s Act.
- Appointment To Various Constitutional Posts, Powers, Functions
- And Responsibilities Of Various Constitutional Bodies.
- Statutory, Regulatory And Various Quasi-Judicial Bodies included in IAS Exam Syllabus for 2021
- Government Policies And Interventions For Development In Various
- Sectors And Issues Arising Out Of Their Design And Implementation.
- Development Processes And The Development Industry —The Role Of
- Ngos, Shgs, Various Groups And Associations, Donors, Charities,
- Institutional And Other Stakeholders.
- Welfare Schemes For Vulnerable Sections Of The Population By The
- Centre And States And The Performance Of These Schemes; Mechanisms,
- Laws, Institutions And Bodies Constituted For The Protection And
- Betterment Of These Vulnerable Sections.
- Issues Relating To Development And Management Of Social Sector/
- Services Relating To Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues Relating To Poverty And Hunger.
- Important Aspects Of Governance, Transparency And Accountability,
- E-Governance- Applications, Models, Successes, Limitations, And
- Potential; Citizens Charters, Transparency & Accountability And
- Institutional And Other Measures included in IAS Mains Exam Syllabus.
- Role Of Civil Services In A Democracy.
- India And Its Neighborhood- Relations.
- Bilateral, Regional And Global Groupings And Agreements
- Involving India And/Or Affecting India’s Interests.
- Effect Of Policies And Politics Of Developed And Developing
- Countries On India’s Interests, Indian Diaspora included in IAS Exam Syllabus.
- Important International Institutions, Agencies And Foratheir Structure, Mandate.
IAS Exam Paper 2 Syllabus for PAPER-IV
- Indian Economy And Issues Relating To Planning, Mobilization, of Resources, Growth, Development And Employment.
- Inclusive Growth And Issues Arising From It.
- Government Budgeting.
- Major Crops-Cropping Patterns In Various Parts Of The Country, –
- Different Types Of Irrigation And Irrigation Systems Storage, Transport
- And Marketing Of Agricultural Produce And Issues And Related Constraints;
- Etechnology In The Aid Of Farmers.
- Issues Related To Direct And Indirect Farm Subsidies And
- Minimum Support Prices; Public Distribution System Objectives,
- Functioning, Limitations, Revamping; Issues Of Buffer Stocks And
- Food Security; Technology Missions; Economics Of Animal-Rearing.
- Food Processing And Related Industries In India- Scope’
- And Significance, Location, Upstream And Downstream
- Requirements, Supply Chain Management.
- Land Reforms In India included in IAS Exam Syllabus.
- Effects Of Liberalization On The Economy, Changes In Industrial
- Policy And Their Effects On Industrial Growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways Etc.
- Investment Models.
- Science And Technology- Developments And Their Applications
- And Effects In Everyday Life.
- Achievements Of Indians In Science & Technology; Indigenization
- Of Technology And Developing New Technology.
- Awareness In The Fields Of IT, Space, Computers, Robotics,
- Nano-Technology, Bio-Technology And Issues Relating To
- Intellectual Property Rights.
- Conservation, Environmental Pollution And Degradation,
- Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Disaster And Disaster Management.
- Linkages Between Development And Spread Of Extremism.
- Role Of External State And Non-State Actors In Creating Challenges To Internal Security included in IAS Exam Syllabus 2021.
- Challenges To Internal Security Through Communication
- Networks, Role Of Media And Social Networking Sites In
- Internal Security Challenges, Basics Of Cyber Security;
- Money-Laundering And Its Prevention.
- Security Challenges And Their Management In Border Areas –
- Linkages Of Organized Crime With Terrorism.
- Various Security Forces And Agencies And Their Mandate.
IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper-V
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in-human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics – in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service, integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship, objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds, challenges of corruption.
- Case Studies on above issues
IAS Exam Syllabus Optional Subjects – Paper VI & VII
Candidates can choose any optional from the subjects, which are given below. Some new subjects has been added in the IAS Exam Syllabus. Candidates can check IAS Exam Optional Syllabus by going through the below mentioned links.
In order to download UPSC Exam Syllabus Optional Subjects as per the course, you need to hit the appropriate link and start preparation of the examination accordingly.
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus 2021
|IAS Exam Syllabus for Agriculture||Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science|
|UPSC Sociology Syllabus||UPSC Public Administration Syllabus|
|Commerce and Accountancy||UPSC GS syllabus|
|Law||UPSC Political Science Syllabus|
|UPSC History Syllabus||Mechanical Engineering|
|Medical Science||UPSC Economics Syllabus|
|UPSC Anthropology Syllabus||Zoology|
|UPSC Philosophy Syllabus||Statistics|
|Management||Literature of any one of the following languages:
Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati,
Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili,
Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya,
Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi,
Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.
|UPSC Mathematics Syllabus||UPSC Geography Syllabus|
Apart from IAS Exam Syllabus 2021 here we have provided the complete IAS Exam Pattern 2021 of Prelims and Mains Examination separately for your comfort. In order to grab more details about IAS Exam Syllabus and Exam Pattern, you are suggested to scroll down this page.
|Papers||Name of the Subjects||Questions||Marks|
|Paper I||General Studies||100||200|
|A||(One of the Indian languages listed below,
to be selected by the candidate (from the
languages listed in the Eighth Schedule to
the Constitution of India) (Qualifying)
|II||General Studies I (Indian heritage and culture,
history and geography of the world and society)
|III||General Studies II (Governance, constitution,
polity, social justice, and international relations)
|IV||General Studies III (Technology,
economic development, biodiversity,
environment, security and disaster management)
|V||General Studies-IV(ethics, integrity, and aptitude)||250|
|Two papers on subjects to be selected by
the candidate from the list of optional subjects
below (250 marks for each paper)
|Total (Written Test)||1750|
Apart from IAS Exam Syllabus, we have provided IAS study Material also, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and grab complete details as soon as possible.
After the successfully completion of IAS Mains Exam, selected contenders have to participate in Interview round on scheduled date. Final selection of the contenders will be done on the basis of their performance in Interview. Aspirants can grab complete details related to IAS Interview by connecting with us. IAS Interview 2021
For getting more details about IAS Syllabus 2021, have a glance at its Official Link. Stay tuned with us for getting more updates about added in IAS Exam Syllabus. If you have any query related to Syllabus For IAS then you can comment in below section.